Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Too Quiet

Studying is not an ideal past time of mine. I prefer to sleep, eat or hang out with friends. However, I need good grades to enjoy my life...or my parents will take the things I like away. So studying has become a "non-negotiable" on my list.

I walked into the Mickel Library and had no clue where anything was except for my classroom on 2nd floor. I only go into the library for IDC class on MWF. I've never wandered around, looked at books or used a computer in there. Finding a place to study wasn't hard because apparently people only need the library near exams. =-)

I sat down with my books and notes and seriously tried to study. But the books on the shelves held my attention....for about a minute before I started daydreaming. My mind was so bored with the quietness and blandness of the environment I couldn't focus on anything important. Every so often I would try to focus on my Spanish or Religion but it just wouldn't click. I reread two lines at least 6 times before I gave up and just sat there.

My ideal study environment has some noise: music, TV, hall mates or roommates talking. I usually do my studying in the PAC because I need 8 hrs of study hall a week. When I'm with other people who are studying and there is noise, I usually do well. I wear my iPod and listen to music. It some how keeps me focused. I need another activity going on in side my mind for studying to be affective. The library had a few noises but so scarcely that they disrupted my train of thought...or lack-of.

The library serves its purpose to others, but you will rarely see me studying there. Sorry.

5 comments:

BlondieB said...

If the library is too quiet, maybe loafers would be a more ideal study spot. It's right beside sneakers and people are coming and going in and out of there all the time.

Erica said...

You could bring an ipod to listen to the next time you go to the library. I'm the same way...I need to have some background noise in order to concentrate.

Kala said...

I am in total agreement. The library freaks me out. The music is a good idea if you can't find anywhere else, but I would probably go for Loafers first.

shannonmarie said...

i like background noise too. there are also some spots in Mickel that are actually pretty noisy some times of the day, i thought that was interesting.

Marissa Renea said...

I somewhat agree with you. I enjoy the silence and atmosphere in the library but anywhere else I need some kind of background noise, preferably music, to study effectively.