Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Who Knew

College is a completely different environment than I'm used to. And I've never been around so many diverse people and actually taken notice. Its interesting that one can learn so much from just being around other people. I guess that is what makes humans so interesting.

But not being used to this community and the people, it has taken me a little longer to develop relationships. However, the ones I have made are true and sincere. These women will be my closet friends for the rest of my life. But as I look at the relationships I've formed, I'm shocked to discover who I've made friends with. Not that they are horrible people, or that they smell bad, but because they are not the usual people I'd see myself with.

Granted I can see how I'm friends with athletes and my roommate, but the others, classmates and hall mates, they each bring something new to my "community." Not all of them are athletic, some are artsy and some are hermits. I've learned that if I let my guard down, I open myself up to such wonderful people and experience more aspects of life.

What is so great about Converse, everyone is one the same playing field. You have no previous judgment of other students, nor do they of you. It is a blank canvas to paint a whole new world with new relationships. I've have yet to meet a person I down right don't like. Everyone here is friendly and ready to start new relationships. Either study partners or late-night-I-need-to-vent partner.

I've learned to keep my door open and never shut someone out.

1 comment:

Witney Fisher said...

Awesome! Love this posting... your openness will open up many doors and experiences during your college experience.