Thursday, September 11, 2008

Oh How the Truth Hurts

Hmm... how do I put this nicely?

I don't think I can. But this assignment really caused me some problems. It created tension on my team and it really made me uncomfortable.

Here's how.

During the soccer game Wednesday night, one of my teammates asked how she was playing, but she meant it to be rhetorical. But I still answered. I told her that she needed to move more and keep control of the ball. I said a few other things along the lines that she wasn't helping on defense and that did not sit well with her.

She turned back and told me things I needed to work on. Touche.

Also, to be completely honest is hard. Sometimes one needs to tell little white lies to preserve someone else's esteem or keep form angering a friend.

But honesty is important on the campus. It provides a trusting environment and you know that people will tell you what they think. You can respect the person more because of the honesty upheld here.

It goes back to the Honor Code. We didn't sign it just to break it. It is there, in the back of our heads, lurking, and constantly reminding us that honesty and integrity are key qualities to posses. It's holding us accountable for everything. We can only point the fingers at ourselves.

Being honest for 24hours was honestly hard and sometimes I didn't want to do it.

It made me wonder though if I can rely on people to be honest back to me.

2 comments:

Witney said...

Very interesting thought you ended your blog with.... it is something, I also think about.

Caroline Robbins said...

Your last comment was so true, I guess we really don't know if we are getting the truth or not. Good Luck with your soccer games!